Sometime in 2016, I discovered a rogue folder in my Outlook for Mac email named Archive1.

I am not sure if it appeared during an MacOS upgrade, an Outlook upgrade, or through user error. I just tried to delete the errant folder using the normal folder delete options such as ctrl-click and menu>mailbox>delete mailbox with absolutely no success.

I tried everything I could think of, even to delete the Archive folder and trying to rename to the Archive1 folder.

Microsoft support were very confident they could help, but after multiple phone calls and support messages, it became clear that I was just going to have to live with the perfectly functioning but visually annoying Archive1 Folder. It would taunt me everywhere I used email.

Until today…

Here is my fix to rename the Archive1 folder

  1. Quit any active desktop email apps – Outlook for Mac and
  2. Log into for office 365
  3. Click the settings Cog at the top right of the window, and then select “View all Outlook settings” at the bottom of that frame
  4. Change the selection on the left from “Email” to “General” and then select “Language and time”
  5. Choose a different Language from the different list. I changed from “English (United Kingdom)” to “English (United States)” and then “Save”
  6. Return to the Email inbox and refresh the page
  7. The “Archive1” folder should have returned to the default name of “Archive”
  8. Go back to step 5 above and change the language back to your desired default and “Save”
  9. refresh the pages, then reopen your desktop apps.

And that is it. Magical.